Opera executive praises EU move

<Quote>
Developers of software and services, [Opera Software's top developer]
remarked, shouldn't have to "attach them to something which is
proprietary."

"On behalf of all Internet users, we commend the Commission for taking
the next step towards restoring competition in a market that Microsoft
has strangled for more than a decade, wrote...Opera's CEO. "...the
Commission is serious about getting Microsoft to start competing on
the merits in the browser market and letting consumers have a real
choice of Internet browsers."

Opera noted that it follows the same principles applied by the EU in
2004, when it held that Microsoft could not tie its media player to
Windows and ordered the software maker to offer a version with the
media player stripped out.

"The Court of First Instance's judgment was clear that Microsoft
illegally tied Media Player to Windows... We are confident that the
Commission will ultimately conclude that Microsoft has violated
European competition law again and that it will take all necessary
actions to restore competition and consumer choice in this important
market."
</Quote>

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10144833-56.html