Re: 55746 posts to COLA? And Schestowitz is NOT being Paid?

On Jan 14, 8:23 am, Muad'Dib <idaspu...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> > I'm not paid, it's libel.

>         Yeah, I know, but once in a great while I get fired up over
> cross-posts/posts like that. As "Phil Da Lick" stated: "At least Roy has
> a reason to be here. The better question is who's paying you and the
> rest of the dummy briagde to come here and rail against linux every day?
> I can't think of anything sadder than an individual spending time every
> day posting in a newsgroup for something they hate." I think is a good
> statement.

Many of the WinTrolls are not "paid to post", but they do have a
vested economic interest in the success of Microsoft.  DFS, for
example is a highly paid independent consultant who writes ASP
and .NET interfaces to SQL Server databases.

They are very similar to the Linux posters in this group who make a
substantial portion of their income supporting Linux, Unix, and OSS
based products and services.

This "feud" has been going on for almost 25 years, since the first PCs
were pitted against BSD UNIX accessed via terminals.  In many cases,
the terminals were "smart" and were in essence - PCs that just ran
terminal software and didn't have hard drives.

We see the same concepts today - with Linux powered sub-notebooks used
primarily to access internet servers, most of which are based on Unix
or Linux. They don't have internal hard drives, because they don't
need them.  They have Open Office installed for reviewing attachments
or generating attachments that can be included in e-mails.

Linux has always been a good launching ground for Internet based
services.  Linux had web servers and browsers back when Windows 3.1
was still struggling with 9600 baud modems and terminal emulation.
Windows didn't even have a TCP/IP stack when Linux was offering full
TCP/IP and Web services as well as e-mail, ftp, and IRC.

Linux/Unix supported CORBA and RPC back when Microsoft was still
trying to get DCOM to be functional.

Linux/Unix supported VoIP back when Microsoft was still trying to CDs
to play properly.

Linux/Unix had real multitasking back when Microsoft was still
dependent on threads and a single process.

By the time Microsoft came out with Windows 95, Linux/Unix already had
MPEG players, JPEG viewers, and compressed audio play-back.

Unix was doing telephone switching back when Microsoft was still
trying to get MS-DOS to do decent dial-up service.

There are almost no major "innovations" from Microsoft that weren't
previously available in some form on Unix or Linux.

In fact, Microsoft was remarketing UNIX (Xenix) even before they
created PC-DOS and MS-DOS.  I guess IBM wanted to "dumb down" the PC
so it wouldn't compete with Series 1, System 360, or System 370.