[News] [Rival] Microsoft Advertising Techniques Under Fire

Marchex, Microsoft criticized on mobile advertising techniques

,----[ Quote ]
| Seattle online advertising company Marchex is among those criticized in a
| 52-page complaint [PDF] today brought by the Center for Digital Democracy and
| U.S. Public Interest Research Group that says mobile marketers are
| using "unfair and deceptive practices." The complaint, filed with the Federal
| Trade Commission, also cites Microsoft's acquisition of mobile advertising
| startup Screen Tonic, noting how it attempted to target teenage girls with a
| mobile marketing campaign that captured their emails. And it points out how
| Kirkland-based HipCricket's mobile marketing techniques target Hispanics.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/microsoft/Marchex_criticized_in_report_for_advertising_techniques37508604.html

Recent:

Dell’s New Ads Minimize Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| The bottom half was dedicated to the Ubuntu version.  Shown in a smaller,
| less eye catching ad than usual.  What really caught my eye was some larger
| text (14 pt.) in the upper right-hand corner of the Ubuntu section.  It said:
|
| “Dell recommends Windows Vista Home Premium.”
|
| Real smooth, Dell.  Once again, Dell shows it’s weak side when advertising
| another product, with another form of software installed other than Microsoft
| Windows.  It’s strange really.  Both models were described as “new” in the
| advertisement, but the Ubuntu version gets treated like a second-class
| citizen.  I am glad that Dell is selling Ubuntu machines, but sometimes the
| whole “we recommend this…” line gets a little old, especially when plastered
| not in the appropriate section, but in the section advertising an Ubuntu
| product.
`----

http://jonreagan.wordpress.com/2008/12/12/dells-new-ads-minimize-ubuntu/

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/12/01/leaked-oem-vista-ad-incentives/

You Don't Make Mistakes Like This.

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell screwed up. No wait...they didn't screw anything up. They fully intended
| to do what they did. Now tell me they are not under the thumb of Microsoft.
| Why was this statement necessary? Let the customer decide. So tell me Dell is
| a friend of Linux or that they are not complete quislings for the Redmond
| Empire. Oh please...I do so want to hear you tell me this. It will be an
| Academy Award performance. It will have to be to explain away this.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/10/you-dont-make-mistakes-like-this.html

Dell’s Linux Ads: Microsoft’s Nightmare Before Christmas?

,----[ Quote ]
| For at least the third time in recent weeks, prominent Dell newspaper
| advertisements feature the Inspiron Mini 9 Netbook running Canonical’s Ubuntu
| 8.04 (that’s a small Linux notebook, folks). The VAR Guy hears Microsoft “has
| gone postal” over the Linux notebook ads. You might even say this is
| Microsoft’s nightmare before Christmas. Here’s the complete scoop.
|
| [...]
|
| At $349, Dell’s low-cost Ubuntu Linux system is “giving Microsoft fits,”
| according to one source familiar with the Microsoft-Dell relationship. “It’s
| one thing to have Dell ship Linux to consumers,” said the source. “It’s quite
| another to have Dell advertising Linux to millions of consumers in a Sunday
| newspaper heading into the holiday season.”
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/11/17/dell-continues-newspaper-ads-for-ubuntu-linux-laptop/

Dell first ad - All About Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| If this an Dell / Enfatico spot– we take back all the slams we had to the
| advertising agency prior… It’s about Linux! Whoo hoo!!
`----

http://www.tribbleagency.com/?p=2827

Dell Launches Consumer Advertising for Ubuntu Linux PCs

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s one small step for Dell and consumer Linux — and one giant leap for
| Canonical’s Ubuntu Linux efforts. Specifically, Dell is spending advertising
| dollars to promote PCs with Ubuntu Linux preinstalled. The move has
| significant implications for the business world as well. Here’s why.
|
| First, some details about the advertisement. Many many U.S. newspapers on
| Sunday, October 12, included a multi-page Dell flier. Among the many products
| advertised was the Dell Inspiron Mini 9, a low-cost sub-notebook designed for
| email and Web browsing.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/10/13/dell-launches-consumer-advertising-for-ubuntu-linux-pcs/

Related:

Google starts running Dell Linux Desktop ads

,----[ Quote ]