[News] China Kills Parts of the Net, UK Follows China's Example

China tightens Internet hold

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/329/1050329/china-tightens-internet-hold

,----[ Quote ]
| The censorship is run by IWF, but no one forced you to join in the first
| place. I just hope you
| realised what sort of backlash (or Streisand Effect, making Virgin Killer the
| most visited wikipedia
| article by several thousands pageviews)
| your (and other ISP's) action created. We are not in China
| or in Australia. About Phorm, I just hope you will inform me as promised, I
| take you by word.
| Now, to the major problem I have got with your company. What does it mean,
| exactly, that
| you take matters like “false advertisement” and “lying to potential customer”
| very seriously? I don't
| really care what happened to your sales person, I would like to know what are
| your procedures in
| cases like this with regard to your customer.
| Moreover, I don't really care about your agreements
`----

http://pk.gjhak.sk/storage/virginmedia.2.pdf

Recent:

China to 'clean up' the internet

,----[ Quote ]
| The authorities have also published the names of 19 websites that have failed
| to heed requests to get rid of unsuitable material.
|
| These include Google and China's top internet search engine, Baidu.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7811550.stm

Related:

The Chinese government plans to regulate online games more tightly

,----[ Quote ]
| He said, according to China Daily, that one such measure would be to support
| certain games as "green" games. Games that in his opinion encouraged killing
| and gambling in order to increase their attractiveness to players and profits
| for the manufacturers would have to meet more onerous conditions in future in
| order to be authorized.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/102002/from/rss09

Yahoo!, Microsoft ink web pact with Chinese government

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/yahoo_and_microsoft_ink_chinese_blogging_pact/