[News] Linux Good for Newbies That Can't Handle Windows Complexity

Turning Linux’s Advantages in to Advantages

,----[ Quote ]
| This is how you install and update software on Windows:
|
|    1. Open a web browser.
|    2. Download an executable file from an (often un-verified) source.
|    3. Press next, next, next, next, next, next, next, next, finish.
|    4. Launch your software.
|    5. Wait for each individual piece of software to nag you about the latest
|    update. (”Logitech is going to look for updates…,” “Adobe PDF Reader
|    version 8.4 is available. Please install it now,” “QuickTime needs an
|    update (hey, mind if we sneak Safari in there, too? *wink*)”)
|
| On Linux, on the other hand, it works something like this:
|
|    1. Open Add/Remove programs.
|    2. Press a check mark and hit apply.
|    3. Launch your software.
|    4. Sit back as your software is automatically updated.
`----

http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2009/01/06/turning-linuxs-advantages-in-to-advantages/

Recent:

A Week Working With Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| After a short vacation during which I made a traveling test with Linux, which
| was very successful, I decided to continue the test by using it as much as
| possible for my work this week. As I have mentioned previously, I have my
| primary laptop set up to multi-boot Windows XP Professional, Ubuntu or
| Mandriva, so it is just as easy for me to boot Linux as Windows at any time.
| I was very curious as to how many times during the week I would "have to"
| boot Windows.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008895o-2000498448b,00.htm

Life after Windows, Day 24

,----[ Quote ]
| Not much to report of late on my experience after giving up Windows XP cold
| turkey. I’m using the IBM Open Client for Linux on Red Hat RHEL 5.1 and it
| all pretty much works. I haven’t used Windows at all for any reason in over
| three weeks, though I’ve been tempted to go back as a tourist and reminisce.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=2186

A life without Windows is nice.

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, back to my studies. Thanks to Linux, I've not had to update a virus
| program or had to worry about any of that stuff that used to cause slow downs
| and headaches when I ran Windows. Ahh, the bliss and freedom of open source
| software.
`----

http://lexlocilinux.blogspot.com/2008/02/life-without-windows-is-nice.html

Windows Still Isn't Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Its ironic how there are so many users who cling to Microsoft Windows and
| then proudly tout that the first thing they do is run out and load up on free
| or open source applications. Every year, we see lists of "best free apps"
| or "essential apps" for Windows, and every year, the apps become more and
| more like watered-down versions of what is available on almost any
| Linux-based system.
`----

http://goodcomputing.blogspot.com/2008/02/windows-still-isnt-linux.html

Related:

The Easy Way to Switch to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in May, we published a step-by-step guide to switching from Windows to
| Ubuntu Linux. A few weeks ago, in keeping with its regular release schedule,
| Ubuntu released an update to its popular and friendly Linux distribution.
| Known as Gutsy Gibbon, Ubuntu Linux 7.10 makes the install process easier and
| more streamlined than before, and adds some new features that you'll need to
| know about. So here's our updated guide to installing Ubuntu on your PC.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/the_easy_way_to_switch_to_linux

An obstacle for Linux desktops: Windows applications

,----[ Quote ]
| If no one listens to you, that's OK. Its not the end of the world. Take the
| code of the existing solution and either change things yourself OR work with
| someone who shares the same view as you. (There's a few million coders out
| there, I'm sure there's atleast one person who agrees with you and would like
| to help!)
|
| We simply can't rely on large corporations. They only think of money and how
| to make more of it regardless of how they treat people. They really don't
| care, as money matters more.
|
| I say forget them! Let's take the initiative and do it our way. If we start
| growing, eating into their marketshare and thus, their profits? Tough! Maybe
| they'll listen next time! (I doubt it...Money is the substance that corrupts
| most of humanity).
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/21889

A City Without Windows – Nineteen Year Old Candidate Wants to Make
This "Vision" Happen with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pr.com/press-release/58335