[News] Interview with Red Hat's Intellectual Monopolies Counsel

The Software Freedom Law Show

,----[ Quote ]
| Richard Fontana, Open Source Licensing and Patent Counsel from Red Hat, joins
| us for an in-depth interview.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/podcast/2009/jan/06/0x04/

Related:

Red Hat's new chief: A pragmatic believer?

,----[ Quote ]
| Does the patent settlement you announced recently [with FireStar Software]
| that is consistent with the GPL mean that you are in a better position to be
| able to settle your patent dispute with Microsoft?
|
| [Jim Whitehurst:] The problem is that we don't know what the Microsoft
| [patent threat] is. They have said in the past that 235 patents [are
| infringed by Linux] and we have yet to see what any of them are.
| Conceptually, it should be possible but, again, we don't know what we are
| talking about there.
|
| When was the last time you spoke to Microsoft regarding patents?
|
| [Jim Whitehurst:] I am sure, as a company, we have an ongoing dialogue on a
| lot of things. I have had dialogue at a senior level, but it has been more on
| how we can work better on interoperability for customers; I haven't had any
| direct conversations around the patent issue.
`----

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/features/0,1000002000,39436604,00.htm

Red Hat settles 2 patent lawsuits filed against it

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN1035078820080611