Re: [News] GIS and Database Set Free, Accessible On-line; OpenGoo Bypasses Office

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 31 December 2008 02:15 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7
> <web_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 30 Dec 2008 23:52:44 +0000
> <dvy6l.76071$AL7.22830@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Municipalities open their GIS systems to citizens
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.linux.com/feature/155792
>>>
>>> The Web is making Windows a lot less relevant.
>>>
>>> OpenGoo: A Free, Open Source Productivity Suite
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://webworkerdaily.com/2008/12/29
>> opengoo-a-free-open-source-productivity-suite/
>>

>> I think ALL tax payer paid GIS databases and documents should be set free.
>> From maps to rules and regulations should be easily available indexed,
>> free and non-proprietory format.
>> If its not free, then for whose benefit did the tax
>> payer pay for all that information thats gathering dust and bit rot?
>>

> It would certainly be more consistent with government
> of the people, by the people, for the people, but as a
> side argument the Bush Administration is one of the most
> secretive governmental entities ever, transcending even
> the hidden agendas of the Nixon era.  I'm not expecting
> much before Obama occupies the main chair.
>
> And of course it is in Microsoft's interest to have all of
> the worker types in government use Microsoft products to
> generate, maintain, and archive documentation.  (It is
> probably not in ours, of course.)

I doubt Obama will change much. He's already flirting with CEOs that run the
country.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Windows leaves me peckish
 02:20:01 up 80 days, 10:28,  2 users,  load average: 0.93, 0.91, 0.84