[News] Intellectual Monopolies Are Sometimes Death (More Proof)

Another Example Of Patents Putting Lives At Risk

,----[ Quote ]
| Given that Shafer refused to live up to the terms of the deal that he had
| never agreed to in the first place, ABL moved forward and sued Shafer
| directly, and that case is now ongoing -- even as Shafer hopes to invalidate
| the patent through the Patent Office itself. The whole thing is yet another
| story of how patents are being used to stifle innovation -- and sometimes put
| lives at risk. It's tragic that we've been seeing so many such stories
| lately.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090610/2202565196.shtml

Do Patents On Your Website Make You Liable For False Marking?

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the things that tends to keep patent lawsuits in check between two
| larger competing companies is the "patent nuclear war" scenario -- which is
| that if one company sues the other for patent infringement, the latter
| company often can hit back with an equal number of infringement charges.
| Thus, the incentives are for companies to stockpile lots of patents, but not
| necessarily use them... though it does happen occasionally.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090606/1139255152.shtml

Recent:

harmfulpatents.org

,----[ Quote ]
| More than 20 years after medical expert systems were first developed, the
| USPTO issued two patents simply on the concept of using a computer to help
| physicians choose medical treatments. A company that purchased these patents
| claims that "the diagnosis and treatment of most chronic diseases will fall
| under the claims of these patents." Already it has filed patent infringement
| suits against seven companies in three years and it threatened to sue a
| university for hosting a freely available HIV database. Perhaps most
| startling of all, that same university -- where much of the seminal research
| on expert systems took place -- entered into a licensing agreement intended
| to limit the use of the HIV database, which had been created by one of its
| own faculty.
`----

http://www.harmfulpatents.org/

Do Patents Kill? A Strange Twist in the Ramkumar vs Samsung Saga

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of papers report that a death in Chennai could be connected with the
| ongoing Ramkumar vs Samsung (and others) patent litigation, a litigation that
| we have been tracking on this blog.
`----

http://spicyipindia.blogspot.com/2009/05/do-patents-kill-strange-twist-in.html

Related: