Undelete

Home Undelete

Back when I was using DOS there was a neat feature called undelete. What in practice happens when a file is erased, the reference to its data is  erased from the FAT (file allocation table). However, the data remains as it was only with the absence of a pointer to its start.

I can recall trying to still use a shell to run undelete in Windows 95, but even then things got a bit problematic. You only chance, if any is to go to Start->Run, type in "command", press ENTER and then type in "undelete". With my current version of Win98' 2nd Edition this command is already unavailable (I only now realise this) which means that Microsoft have decided to leave it out. Still no success? Perhaps finding some 'undeleltion' software under download.com is worth a try.

Note: if your hard drive is already low on space, i.e. less than 200MB free, it's likely that the contents of the old files have been overwritten by now. If not, don't give up. The MP3's are still on your harddrive and only need some recovery or indirection.. whether the OS would allow this recovery or not, that's a different question.

Want more advice? More help? Just tell me!

GIF image