Re: Sideways

  • To: Harvey Tobkes <harveytobkes@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: Sideways
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <roy@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:21:19 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 17:24:10 +0000
Harvey Tobkes wrote:
*Thanks for recommending /Sideways/; it was a movie that you remember, and can discuss for days afterward.*

I still think of it occasionally (it has been 2 days), but not as much as other films.

*Paul Gaimatti’s acting (as Miles) was incredible, because he had to portray the many moods of a depressed, loser who had good intellect but was mostly bitter, depressed and never happy.*

* *

*His sidekick was no less brilliant. The actor who portrayed “Jack” had to play the difficult role of an immature Jock who was celebrating his last week of bachelorhood before his marriage to the wealthy Christina.*

* *

*Their trek through the Santa Barbara wine country was a classy touch and informative through wine connoisseur Miles, giving us more information than we want.*

I think it's a part of the film where the humor did not work. It did, however, serve an important part.

*The movie had some very humorous scenes, but is far from a comedy; it is a wise and melancholy look at disillusionment and frustration, made by an optimist who believes life’s door is always worth knocking on, even when you’re not sure if anyone will answer. Miles had such low self-esteem and confidence, it took him forever before he kissed Maya. I wanted to kill him because she was so desirable and ready.*

And he, on the other hand, was completely tactless.

*One part, I am not quite sure I understand. Did Miles steal money (concealed in a can of Ajax) from his mother? Or, was that his own room and his own money that he stashed away? If it is the former, why did the script have him stealing money from his own mother? *

That is exactly one part I could not understand either. He put the can back in the drawer, but then again he left early while she was still asleep. It raises more questions than it provides answer.

Speaking of which, the beginning of the film gave me the impression that Miles and Jack were a gay couple. It took a while for things to become clearer. I was relieved.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com