Re: substantial discrepancy

  • To: "Harvey Tobkes" <harveytobkes@bellsouth.net>
  • Subject: Re: substantial discrepancy
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <roy@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 02:54:06 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 02:54:28 +0000
On Monday 14 February 2005 02:48, you wrote:
> I still do not know the difference. What is a hit? What is a visitor?
>
> I am sure it is easily explainable... somewhat confusing to me, because in
> just one day you tell me I had 262 visitors, and it was terrific traffic
> for a new web site.
>
> Now you say I have 100,000 possible hits for the month, which means 3333
> per day.
>
> If we were talking about dollars, that would be a substantial discrepancy

If someone watches your front page, that's a hit. If the page contains  8
images, that's 8 more hits. If the visitor then steers away to another page,
e.g. to leave a comment, that's a hit. I think that your front page alone
will invoke 10-15 hits on the first view. I say "first" because once files
are received in the first place, they will not necessarily be called for
again.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com/