Re: [wp-hackers] Spam results

From: Matt Mullenweg <m@mullenweg.com>:

I'm curious what spam methods are working best for everyone? I see lots of comments people saying they're using something but not many saying what's working. Namely, what would be the best methods to roll in? Obviously something like captcha doesn't fit the WP philosophy, but some of the other approaches (scoring comments, better management of floods, auto-closing) I think could be very effective even when mass-deployed. Thoughts?

I am getting lots of good reports on my simple "Turing Test" system:

http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/blog/index.php?p=103

I simply prompt for my first name, and verify that it is there. If not, I issue a simple message.
The user (if they are not a comment spammer) can simply press Back and try again.

I have not received a single spam in the 8 days since I implemented this system; I was
getting dozens per day before.

Jeff;

--
* RSS Feeds: http://www.syndic8.com * Blog: http://www.syndic8.com/~jeff/blog/