Re: changing religions (operating systems)

  • To: r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: changing religions (operating systems)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 03:11:53 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 03:12:18 +0100

You wrote:
> To me changing Operating systems is akin to changing religions, so I have
> some questions.
>
> Do you think I should download this version of Linux??? You once advised
> that I should be using Linux, so what do you think?
>
> Will there be any changes in usage or new things to learn?
> Note: All is working well, and I have no problems at the moment, but many
> tech web sites are saying Linux is the way to go.
> A little late in the game, but if it is to my advantage, why not?
>

> http://www.debian.org/

I recently 'converted' 2 or 3 people to Linux. One of them I support
quite closely. I can anonymise my replies to him and then form an
Q&A-like page.

Debian is probably not the best of distibutions of Linux for beginners.
If you want programs like Open Office and Firefox pre-installed. I
suggest you look into Ubuntu.

http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

The address above enables you to get the CD shipped to your house for
_free_ (Linux is free, as always as so are programs that run on it). You
can use the "Live CD" to get hands-on experience with Linux _without_
affecting Windows. If you are happy, then you can install it as your
permanent operating system. Either way, I suggest you order the CD from
the address above. The Live CD means that you needn't make any
changes... it's like a trial version. It should run smoothly on older
computer like yours too. That's one of the reasons why I strongly
recommended it.

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com