Measuring Pi

  • To: r@schestowitz.com
  • Subject: Measuring Pi
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <roy@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 01:37:56 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 03:05:53 +0000

On Saturday 19 March 2005 01:16, you wrote:
> My grandson, * is a modest kid, 12 years old.
>
> Yesterday. I learned he can recite pi (3.14159165) to 100 places. held a
> sheet of paper with all the digits of the fraction and he correctly
> memorized all 100 numbers.

Well done. It reminds me of people who learn the Yellow Pages. Frankly (and I
hope you don't find this offensive), I think it is a complete waste of time.
The only educational curve of this might be establishing methods in the mind
for storing information.

> I know it's quite a feat for anyone let alone a 12 year old.
>  He is not a brilliant student but somehow acquired this talent.
>
> Any comments or thoughts.
>
> Pi as I remember is the ratio of the circcumference of a circle to the
> radius, but I forgot hoe to do the math to come up with the ratio. Can you
> refresh my memory?

There is a whole history lesson on how people measured Pi (in different ways
too). Each century (~), someone found a way of measuring it more accurately.
The Internet will find you the answers...

- --
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com/