A LyX-LaTeX Personal Inner Conflict

  • To: lyx-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: A LyX-LaTeX Personal Inner Conflict
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 07:49:16 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Dec 2005 07:49:36 +0000
My question is a general. It is not about LyX technicalities, so apologies
in advance...

It  is no secret that 'document shifts' from TeX to LyX (and vice) are of-
ten  lossy  or a not-so-graceful ones. I have been using  LyX  exclusively
since  I first came to University (in my late teens). Nowadays, some  con-
ferences  and  journals insist on the use of their templates, which  often
include  packages  and  peripheral files. These include some  line  number
bits, cross references with colours, etc. Although these files could some-
how be 'transferred' to LyX, it would be laborious due to the complexity.

Essentially,  I often find myself needing to 'depart' from LyX (3 times in
the past month), merely using it as a starting point and then exporting to
LaTeX,  margin with the sample file. I can still use LyX to generate  bits
of TeX like equations, which in turn I can 'plug in' to the TeX. But... is
there  any  way of avoiding this descent to LaTeX altogether? It's like  a
big  step back in my humble opinion. I can barely ever get a sense of what
the  outcome  looks like, let alone navigate at ease or produce a  preview
rapidly.

I  once  thought about writing things in LyX until the very end, but  it's
problematic  when  joint authors need to edit (broader issue). The  bigger
issue  are intermediate reviews (e.g. from Supervisor). A sense for length
and orientation becomes an issue too.

Thank you for any input you may have,