Re: [wp-testers] TinyMCE - AdBlock Collision

Hi Andy, Robert,

_____/ On Tue 06 Dec 2005 19:42:27 GMT, [Andy Skelton] wrote : \_____

On 12/6/05, Roy Schestowitz <wp-lowtraffic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
There  are actually a number of selectors that match "advanced". By stick-
ing to the word "advanced", you leave yourself with 3 letters that precede
common advertisement graphics. Changing these in AdBlock as to prevent the
collision  would  significantly reduce its effectiveness, i.e. weaken  the
success rate.

Yes, this is true. However, I quite honestly don't give a damn about whether you have to look at 2% of the ads out there instead of 1%. You, the user, are purposefully breaking your own browser. Given the billions of web sites out there, there are probably millions that serve non-ad images from a subdirectory called "advanced." Certainly any site using TinyMCE with the default theme (advanced) will be affected. The source of this too-liberal selector is ultimately responsible and should be responsive to feedback, especially if it comes from more than one person.

I couldn't agree more with you. Please don't perceive in me a person who
stubbornly suggests that AdBlock gets accommodated. I just know that some users
will innocently (or quite conversely -- deservedly) be affected.

Now that it is clear to you how strongly I feel about pandering to the
"I can't be bothered to look at advertisements" crowd by considering
all words beginning with "adv" off-limits in URLs, I will concede that
I do not have control over the WordPress codebase, I do not have
commit rights, and I am not the only person capable of creating
patches for the core. This is OSS and I am merely a contributor. All I
can do is what I think is the right thing, which involves contacting
the source of the problem to effect a proper resolution.

I hope nothing in this email hurts anybody's feelings.

Not at all. I guess this so-called 'bug' becomes somewhat of a political
question, so whichever solution (or just path) gets chosen, someone will be
dissatisfied with it.

_____/ On Tue 06 Dec 2005 20:39:31 GMT, [Robert Deaton] wrote : \_____