Re: [wp-testers] TinyMCE - AdBlock Collision

Hi Andy,

_____/ On Tue 06 Dec 2005 09:11:44 GMT, [Andy Skelton] wrote : \_____

On 12/6/05, Roy Schestowitz <wp-lowtraffic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have reverted back to the original CSS and disabled Flashblock
completely (it
was not intended to affect images). I can confirm that the outcome is
identical
-- only 2 icons show up.

Your CSS file is the probable cause. Remove the selector I mentioned earlier and confirm that it was the cause...

Yes, I did that already. As I look back at the message, I understand that I
never stated that explicitly:

_____/ On Tue 06 Dec 2005 06:25:55 GMT, [Roy Schestowitz] wrote : \_____

 * wp-includes/js/tinymce/plugins/wphelp/images/help.gif

 shows up because its path is different than most

 * wp-includes/js/tinymce/themes/advanced/images/code.gif

 in the above, notice the word "advanced" which vaguely resembles
 "advertisement"...

There  are actually a number of selectors that match "advanced". By stick-
ing to the word "advanced", you leave yourself with 3 letters that precede
common advertisement graphics. Changing these in AdBlock as to prevent the
collision  would  significantly reduce its effectiveness, i.e. weaken  the
success rate.

...Then note the contributors
listed in the CSS file and contact them with the details of the
conflict so they can remove it.

Hopefully their distribution is automatic so we don't have to worry
about old versions kicking around.

_____/ On Tue 06 Dec 2005 09:25:44 GMT, [Andy Skelton] wrote : \_____

[...]

The original CSS is still available on mozilla.org and gozer.org has a
variant. Installation method appears to be manual. I haven't seen
anything automatic.

Yes, it's a manual installation. This means no notifications of available updates/downloads. Having said that, Firefox users are migrating to ver- sion 1.5 these days. With this upgrade, you might hope that certain plug-ins/settings will be dropped, yet users and developers prefer to avoid it.

I  am skeptic about AdBlock ever being dropped. I can confirm that on Lin-
ux,  the profile directory stays in tact during updates and this  includes
chrome. In other words, the CSS file, which is otherwise void or non-exis-
tent can only be changed if the user deliberately chooses to do so.

Cheers,