Re: [GUG] Help with creating a transparent image

  • To: gug@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [GUG] Help with creating a transparent image
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:48:13 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 17:48:16 +0000
_____/ On Fri 16 Dec 2005 06:29:43 GMT, [Bernard] wrote : \_____

I have extracted an image that I would like to use as a watermark on my web pages. That all went well however when I set the opacity to be less than 100 the image is fine in GIMP until I save it as a GIF. When I use the file or reload it in GIMP the image is gone.

The original file was in GIF format and as soon as loaded it I set the mode to RGB and saved it as a new file in XCF format so that I could work on the file whenever I had time.

I'm not sure what I have done incorrectly, in the XCF file I extracted the portions of the image I wanted to use into multiple layers. Then I made the layers I want to use visible and turned off the layers I don't want. I then set the opacity of each of the visible layers to 80 in order to test how transparent it will look when placed on a page. I then did a save as and saved it as a GIF image.

I would appreciate any help and advice you may have.

Hi,

As far as I know, the GIF format has the notion of transparency, in addition to
a standard pallete of colours. It does not, however, support the proper notion
of opacity. Pixels can either be visible or, in some sense, inexistent.

What you want to do is to save your image in PNG format, which for a variety of
reasons, has been shown to be better. It is also supported by very many
applications these days.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com