Re: [wp-testers] release/svn question

  • To: wp-testers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-testers] release/svn question
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <wp-lowtraffic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 04:45:11 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 04:45:12 +0000
_____/ On Thu 29 Dec 2005 04:25:14 GMT, [John Joseph Bachir] wrote : \_____

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:

Now that 2.0 is out, I want to quit tracking the svn "head" and stick with the release. I'm only familiar with cvs, and cvs-ish policies. Most projects I've been on tag releases. Some branch the release and only commit critical fixes to the branch, allowing you to stay "current" with only what's required.

I'm having a hard time getting my head to work the svn way, and I'm also unsure of how wordpress release policy. Is there a way to do this?

svn does not have true tags, but there is a convention that allows for the same functionality, with perhaps some added nicities.

to get a given tag, you checkout or export .../.../tags/<tagnumber>

so to get wordpress 2.0 from the repository, you do

  svn export http://svn.automattic.com/wordpress/tags/2.0

Does that answer your question?

John

You can keep your installation up-to-date with neither SVN nor CVS:

http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/wp-testers/2005-December/001444.html

It has the merit that it can run automatically on the server. The price to pay
is bandwidth.