Re: Install problem

At 6:25 AM +0100 9/8/05, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
_____/ On Wed 07 Sep 2005 20:27:03 BST, [Bennett Helm] wrote : \_____

On Sep 7, 2005, at 1:21 PM, Rob Managan wrote:

I got a new computer and installed LyX and TeTeX on it as described (at least I think I did) I used the i-installer for TeX and the related packages and the 1.3.6 .dmg for LyX. I am running OSX 10.3.9.

When I open an old LyX document I get a dialog that says:

Textclass error

The document uses a missing TeX class article
LyX will not be able to produce output.

Any clue as to what I messed up?

I suggest that you try to change the class of the document under Layout ->
Document. Do you still get the same error? To isolate the source of the error,
it would be valuable to try this.

I have confirmed that LyX can not find any document class. If I even create a new file from a template it lists the templates and I can chose one but when it opens the windows I get the same message.

Are you sure teTeX is installed correctly? (Can you compile documents with article class from TeXShop, for example?)

Is LyX's PATH prefix set correctly? (LyX > Preferences > Paths > PATH Prefix -- should be set to:

/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin- current:/usr/X11R6/bin:/sw/bin:/opt/local/teTeX/bin

If that's all ok, try running Edit > Reconfigure, quitting LyX, and relaunching. Does that work?

Bennett

When I bring up the Preferences the PATH prefix box was empty. So I suspect that something went awry in the install procedure. Do you need to get TeX installed and then log out and relogin to make sure it can be found or anything like that??

And several Reconfigure, Quit, and Launches did not help so I think there must be another problem.