Re: Windows ME Shutdown Problem

  • To: Roy <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: Windows ME Shutdown Problem
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:07:38 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 16:09:37 +0100

On 26/09/05 10:25, you wrote:
> I was having a problem on shutdown with a Blue Error Screen appearing (after
> hitting Start /Shutdown) and simultaneously the computer locked up. This was
> happening about 5 out of 10 times. I had to do an illegal shutdown after
> each occurrence.

Typical Windows behaviour, but let's try to resolve this rather than
complain.

> I was getting a little tired of all that so I went to Microsoft Help and one
> of the suggestions on "How to Troubleshoot ME Shutdown Problems," was to
> determine if a program in the StartUp folder was in conflict with the
> startup process.

I don't see how start-up should intervene with shut-down. I find it
somewhat dubious. It is probably some program that runs in the
background (e.g. anti-virus) having been invoked from the start-up list,
namely under Start -> Programs -> Startup.

> On a hunch, I went to the StartUp folder, unchecked the Symantec boxes, and
> disabled the Norton anti-Virus. That did the trick! I was able to Startup
> and shutdown in a jiffy.

Sounds like a wise move. That's what I would have done.

> Then I checked those unselected boxes and tried to  Start-up from "Normal"
> (not a Select Start-Up) but  Norton was inoperable.
>
> Next I decided to Uninstall Norton and then Re-install. Norton is now
> Uninstalled

Well, that's fine as far as Windows integrity and stability is
concerned, but bad for security. It's a dilemma.

> When I try to reinstall I get the message below...
> Cannot Find...C:\ProgramFiles\CommonFiles\SymantecShared\ccSetMgr.exe.

Hmmmm... I think you did not uninstall it properly. No reason to panic
though.

>  But, when I Search for the files, I find it on my Hard Drive. So, that's
> confusing.

Check that the path (directory structure) is the same.

> Of course, I need to Re-Install Norton anti-Virus back on my computer, but I
> am stomped.
>
> What do you suggest ?

I would have liked to suggest that you got rid of that malice that keeps
 giving you a hard time (Windows). However, given the circumstance, I
can either suggest a different anti-virus program or more of a
'playabout' with install-uninstall.

>   By the way, I could not get Unbuntu to load; perhaps my computer's
> performance does not meet the requirements or whatever, but right now that's
> a moot point because I am locked in a trap not having an antivirus Program.

Ubuntu doesn't care about viruses. They barely seem to exist as far as
Linux is concerned. What happens if you insert the Live CD? No luck?

Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Yes, I know, but does it run Linux?"
  3:55pm  up 32 days  4:09,  2 users,  load average: 0.31, 0.94, 0.81