Re: [wp-hackers] Cheap webhosts

_____/ On Wed 12 Oct 2005 14:21:31 BST, [Jason A. Trommetter] wrote : \_____

_____/ On Wed 12 Oct 2005 08:32:04 BST, [Martin Geisler] wrote : \_____

Jason Bainbridge <jbainbridge@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

On 10/11/05, Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not my host *frown*. Consider yourself to be fortunate if you are
allowed SSH/Telnet access. The best I can ever do when wishing to
invoke commands is use tricks <
http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/09/12/cpanel-terminal-hack/

Uhm may I suggest that you consider switching hosts? SSH is kind of standard these days, I certainly won't consider a host unless they provide SSH access, [...]

It's the same in Denmark where I come from: most cheap webhosts also don't want to give you SSH access. :-( So for me it was a big luxus when I got it for my site with a US host.

I personally recommend http://www.dreamhost.com/ Very reasonable, PHP, MySQL, full ssh access.

I rarely require SSH access. SSH is merely a luxury that one can adapt to by changing a few habits e.g. using command-line rather than front-ends to file management. The last thing I want to do is move away from hosts that served me so well with approximately 99.9% uptime, even now that I suffer the spam equivalent of the Slashdot Effect on a daily basis.

I think I once read about Dreamhost.com banning a user from establishment of
database connections as he was hammering it too hard. That sounds incompetent
to me as they appeared to have not preceded the move with a gentle warning.
That's the problem with large 'meat market' companies that perceive their
clients as 'little people'.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Software patents destroy innovation
 3:30pm  up 48 days  3:44,  3 users,  load average: 0.95, 0.80, 0.57