Re: [wp-hackers] RSS Feed for Archives, Is it needed?

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] RSS Feed for Archives, Is it needed?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 07:02:21 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 07:02:22 +0100
_____/ On Mon 24 Oct 2005 06:03:52 BST, [Mani Monajjemi] wrote : \_____
On 10/23/05, Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
_____/ On Sun 23 Oct 2005 10:25:49 BST, [Mani Monajjemi] wrote : \_____

> Dear friends,
>
> Last night I've just added some features to WP1.6 function. I added some
> tags to wp_get_archives like *feed* & *feed_image* just like
wp_list_cats,
> now if you use those tags and RSS link will apear after Monthly, Daily &
> weekly archives , after 3 hours of coding and finishing the job , I
thought
> is it really neccessary ? Should I submit the code to wordpress trac?
>
> PS. There's aboolutley no bug in new functions and they work well.

Comprehensive feeds, such as the ones you describe, can be useful for what
we
have come to know as Google Sitemap. The input XML might soon be supported
by
other search engines too (if not already so).

Having said that, there is an existing implementation of XML sitemaps for
WordPress. It must be lying about somewhere as it was announced in this
list
only days after Google Sitemaps had been introduced.

Whether large-scale feeds will ever be helpful to human readers, I
doubt it with
passion. It's merely a bot/harvester element.

Best Wishes,

Thanks roy , but finally should I try to add the changes to WP 1.6?

Another problem! How can I submit the changes ? through trac? or through
SVN?

For changes to be committed by yourself, I suspect there is no way around the need for privileges. If anybody could commit changes without supervision, we would be in a sordid chaos.

Try to list a few compelling reasons in Trac, which may persuade the developers
to propagate your submission to the trunk, rather than treating it as a
plug-in.

Best Wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> wget -r -erobots=off http://www.*
 6:50am  up 59 days 16:59,  7 users,  load average: 0.87, 0.62, 0.54