Re: word-wrap and itemize

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> There was recently a thread about justification and hyphenation, but
> particularly about tendency of margins to be dishonoured at times [1].
> There were various solutions proposed. Insertion of a linebreak is, as you
> already know, undesirable. This may break as the output type (or
> compiliation process) changes.

Thanks for the link. I had read those threads, but no answer there.

An example of my problem is the words (with the punctuation):
(LAN_INET)
and
(LAN_DMZ)

I don't want to hyphenate them. I don't want to manually add a \newline
before them. I just want the latex magic to automatically move it to the
next line and justify the line as needed.

This also happens in regular Standard text too, where I have "(TTL)",
"(MSS)", MIB-like variables like net.inet.ip.porthilast and
net.inet.ip.portrange.hifirst, filenames (with backslashes) like
/etc/authpf/authpf.allow, and words that start with a dollar sign (like
$foo). These are all same font.

I have many, many lines like this. And adding a \newline or forcing
hyphenation causes maintenance problems (as you mention) since I am
updating content and later may change paper size.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/