Re: [wp-hackers] Re: [wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Re: [wp-trac] Re: [WordPress Trac] #2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 06:55:14 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 06:55:15 +0100
___/ On Tue 25 Apr 2006 09:35:44 BST, [ Mike Little ] wrote : \___

#2691: HTML comments in posts aren't handled properly.
       Id:  2691       |      Status:  new
Component:  General    |    Modified:  Tue Apr 25 07:51:49 2006
 Severity:  normal     |   Milestone:
    Owner:  anonymous  |    Reporter:  gord

 <snip />

Comment (by skeltoac):

 This is what is implied: nobody who has seen this has found it important
 enough to spend their time rewriting autop to work around comments. The
 applicable mantra is "edge case." You are welcome to work up a patch and
 submit it for testing and consideration.

So, along with dropping the accessibility of WordPress admin, because, presumably, all those blind, partially-sighted, and physically disabled people are 'edge case'; we are now dropping the 'standards compliant' part of WordPress

Whatever happened to:

"WordPress is a state-of-the-art semantic personal publishing platform
with a focus on aesthetics, web standards, and usability."

Oh wait! It's still there on the web site, perhaps it needs removing.
Or perhaps it needs rewording: Try dropping 'usability' and 'web
standards'. Perhaps add 'coolness' and 'buzz word compliance'.

Regarding accessibility, there is a tradeoff involved. Perhaps making the presentation layer more isolated and less reliant on JS (I know there is a fallback, but it's iffy) is the way to go. Modularity has been compromised and lack of compliance with standard further contributes to such issues.

The  administration  panel  is not as 'skinnable' as it  once  was,  which
prevents simplification/enhancement for a variety of purposes. I am yet to
see  how WordPress can be managed from Lynx or a PDA with a small  display
(a  mobile  telephone  perhaps).  The disabled could  contribute  to  such
discussions.  I  can  vividly recall one blind girl from  the  Forum.  She
struggled to run her blog with 2.0.

With  WYSIWYG editing, as well as AJAX-type interfaces, it often  appeared
as  though this idealogy of extension through plug-ins had been  forsaken.
While Windows Vista, KDE and iTunes have fallen victim to greed for flash,
Firefox gives a contrary example.

Best wishes,

Roy

-- Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: 21978 x 4 = 21978 backwards http://Schestowitz.com | SuSE Linux ¦ PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E 6:35am up 3 days 15:46, 10 users, load average: 0.35, 0.73, 0.72