Re: [wp-hackers] Is WordPress Development Slowing Down?

  • To: wp-hackers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [wp-hackers] Is WordPress Development Slowing Down?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:39:14 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 15 May 2006 17:39:15 +0100
___/ On Mon 15 May 2006 12:21:50 BST, [ Robert Deaton ] wrote : \___

On 5/15/06, Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
<snip /> A decline from half a dozen commits per day to just 1 or  2
is noticeable.

I think this view is based on only the relatively small subset of time you have watched commits. Every few months, after a major stable release has been out a while and some of the larger features for the next release have been started, commits slowly trickle down. Following this period of slowness, usually comes a burst of activity directly prior to a release. After the release is a second burst of activity, fixing all the bugs in the prior release, and after that's taken care of, is one last burst of activity on the new branch with all the new features that have been enqueue during the test-release-fix cycles. Following that, we're where we are right now, in the lull between two releases.

I appreciate your response, which was encouraging. As you rightly pointed out, I have been watching commits on a daily basis _only since their arrival_ as mail digests. Trac likewise. I also did ponder these points which you alluded to.

Call  me  paranoid perhaps, but I dread see any project that I use (or  am
affiliated  with)  losing steam. It has happened several times before  and
the  cost  of  migrations,  time-wise, is high. I am  glad  to  hear  that
WordPress  does  not fall under this category, by any means.  (Bigger  and
better)^tm  things  always come in the way of the team, but I  think  it's
important  to  remember the origins of everything and the  community  that
very  much  depends  on the seminal word -- Wordpress in  this  particular
case.

Best wishes,