Re: [spam-stopper] Re: [Simple SEO] Please moderate: "PHP PDF Generation"

  • To: spam-stopper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [spam-stopper] Re: [Simple SEO] Please moderate: "PHP PDF Generation"
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <r@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 21:57:34 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 23 May 2006 21:57:36 +0100
___/ On Mon 22 May 2006 17:35:37 BST, [ Eric A. Meyer ] wrote : \___

I don't know what's going on but in the last 12 hours these guys
have been getting through Akismet with tons of spam.

I'm marking them manually, but still more get through. Something may
be amiss?

If it helps at all, I've been seeing the same thing with the same kinds of messages. I've manually marked about 100 over the past few days (which has left me seriously wishing for a way to mass-edit messages as spam).

Mike  has already alluded to this point, but change of a single figure  in
the appropriate SQL query enables you to have as many messages as you wish
per   page.   Make  use  of  the  "invert  selection  facility".  Make   a
link/shortcut  to  your  "Mass  edit" page. Lastly, purge  spam  at  fixed
intervals,  e.g. once a day. I have been doing this for a long time and  I
receive  about  150  spam  per  day on my main blog,  which  I  can  still
tolerate.

This, paired with the astronomical increase in actual e-mail spam
that's been getting past SpamAssassin-- about 45% of my incoming mail
is spam, and it would be more like 95% if not for all the mailing
lists I'm on-- has me contemplating a career change. I hear truck
drivers make decent money.

I'm  on  the  same boat, but SA continues to intercept almost all  of  the
spam.  No false positives since it all began a year ago with the threshold
se  at  8.  Pair  this with BoxTrapper or other C/R  filter  if  you  feel
courageous  (but  be  selective account-wise). Put SpamAssassin on  to  to
reduce disruption to innocent addressees.

To  make  purging  of SA-marked spam, make use  of  colour-based  filters.
Colour  your spam based on a number of criteria, e.g. target address (make
use of multiple addresses, not just boxes/folders). You can then just scan
the  spam  with  your  eyes.  Takes me about  2  minutes  for  500  E-mail
messages...

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz, Ph.D. Candidate (Medical Biophysics)
 9:40pm  up 26 days  4:19,  11 users,  load average: 0.73, 0.92, 0.93