Re: [wp-hackers] WordPress and GPLv3

Pixline wrote:

Maybe is a little too early to talk about that? What's wrong with GPL2? At least, we can read it without a lawyer, unlike GPL3. I'm not pleased to release something under a license that needs a FAQ: the license can have legal value, but what about the FAQ?

That's both an advantage and a disadvantage. The ability to read ti without a lawyer makes it weaker in court. (Not directly: it's just that some of the less controversial changes in GPL3 were designed to address specific legal concerns and make the language clearer to lawyers and judges.)

Here's one specific advantage of GPL3: it is much more compatible with non-U.S. legal systems. GPLv2 had some problems in a number of jurisdictions that GPLv3 does not. That may be significant even if you don't care about issues like DRM and Tivoisation one way or the other.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!