Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 01:09:34PM -0700, Patty Langasek wrote:

> Linus' opinions do not coincide with Debian on respect, on community, on
> *the FSF*. None of this should be a surprise to anyone.

I honestly believe we are talking at cross purposes on this issue of respect
and that actually Debian and LT are not that far apart in reality.

Let me try some hyperbole - its all the rage don't you know. Debian says
everyone deserves respect. Sounds nice.
So Hitler deserves respect? The man who murdered Foley deserves respect?
No. No.

So not everyone deserves respect.

Debian says everyone deserves respect, so Debian allows everyone to submit packages
to NEW and UPLOAD.
No.

Why not? Because not everyone has earnt the right to be respected to do so in
a trustworthy and dilligent manner. SO actually Debian does require people
to earn respect...

Just in the same way that LT does not accept patches from just anyone. They go
through various filters (trusted luitenants and his own experience) but as he
sees their code and their committment they earn his respect and are more likely
to get patches past him.

I don't see there is much difference apart from language. Saying "we respect
everyone" is a nice platitude, but the reality is that does not mean we have
great respect for their opinions reasoning experience and skill - how can we
before we _know_ them. That process of getting to _know_ someone (call it the
the MM process maybe) is what LT is talking about "earning respect".

I like the desire behind our "respect everyone" thing, but I think the word
has been weakened by it.

I also see that a lot of people within Debian agree with LT on the issue of
the GPL3 being a substantially different licence to the GPL2 (both good for
different purposes) and that the FSF were sneaky with trying to defacto
replace GPL2 with GPL3 (even if well intentioned.)

So the blanket statement "Linux opinions do not coincide with Debian" is
perhaps not accurate given that Debian is a large project made up of lots
of people with differing opinions on those issues... unless actually you
do speak for "debian".

Regards