Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Sat, 6 Sep 2014, Anthony Towns <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Because [how] could I know they won't have the same behaviour in
> > Debian?
>
> However, I disagree here -- Debian has a code of conduct that says
> they won't behave the same way within Debian, and listmasters,
> conference organisers and others are ensuring that people who do
> behave in those ways are removed from Debian (temporarily or
> permanently as seems appropriate). That's how you can know they won't
> behave the same way in Debian.

If you read the many blog posts about harassment in various communities it
seems that this is often a problem.  People who have a history of behaving
badly tend not to just confine bad behavior to communities that tolerate it or
suddenly stop behaving badly.  They just cover it up.  Then people who
identify with their victims tend to avoid any community that such people
inhabit for their own safety.

When there is a serious problem with harassment I don't think we can rely on
bad people keeping their bad behavior to other communities.

But I don't think this particular discussion is relevant to Linus's behavior.
The reports suggest that his actions weren't that far out of line.

http://etbe.coker.com.au/2010/11/06/unparliamentary-language-free-software/

I wrote a blog post about Unparliamentary Language and FOSS which received
some interesting comments (and the Wikipedia page is hilarious).  I think that
in the case of someone using a term such as "bigoted" it would be reasonable
for the moderator to request that they withdraw that statement.  As such a
statement doesn't seem libelous or seem likely to cause further disputes there
wouldn't be a need to do anything after the statement has been withdrawn.