Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On 5 September 2014 16:56, Jérémy Bobbio <jeremy.bobbio@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anthony Towns:
>> Likewise if someone wants to be a troll on 4chan, a hacker in
>> Anonymous, a sexist, racist, misogynist, misanthrope on Usenet, or
>> aggressive, intolerant and hyperbolic on other lists, I think that
>> should be fine as far as Debian's concerned, as long as they don't do
>> that in Debian (on our lists, sites, IRC channels, events, etc).
> I strongly disagree. Debian should be a place where all kind of people
> should feel welcome.

I agree with that statement.

> If someone contributing is known for having
> oppressive behaviour, even if it's outside of Debian, it might just
> chill me out of getting involved in the project after seeing they are
> involved.

Consequently, I agree that the above would be a shame.

> Because [how] could I know they won't have the same behaviour in
> Debian?

However, I disagree here -- Debian has a code of conduct that says
they won't behave the same way within Debian, and listmasters,
conference organisers and others are ensuring that people who /do/
behave in those ways are removed from Debian (temporarily or
permanently as seems appropriate). That's how you can know they won't
behave the same way in Debian.

Cheers,
aj

--