Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Thu, Sep 04, 2014 at 02:18:14PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

> Even with Linus, I'm sure that the call for deciding not to invite him to
> further Debian events is based on the long-term pattern of behavior, not
> this one incident.  And even among people who find his position generally
> unacceptable, you'll notice that there isn't widespread support for that
> action here.  (I don't agree with it in this case, for instance.)

And I think this is wrong.  If you want to ban him for his behavior in
a Debian controlled space, that's fine.  But for Debian to impose its
Norms on other projects by saying that people who behave in a certain
way when interacting in those communities which are outside of
Debian's is wrong.

What is considered acceptable behavior is very culturally specific.
There are certain things that you might think are completely
acceptable in terms of criticizing the code (not the person), that
would still no doubt be considered horribly wrong in certain cultures.
In those cultures, you have to be even *more* circumspect and indirect
than I suspect anyone, even those who advocate a very strict reading
of the CoC would ever demand or think reasonable.  So should people in
that culture say that they should never invite an American to a
conference in that culture, because the way that person behaves when
interacting with people in an American corporate culture would be
considered "beyond the pale" in that other country's culture?

And if you need to interact with people or companies in those
cultures, then you have to follow those rules.  But that's only when
you are in that particulat cultural or community context.  You're
basically saying that anyone who doesn't behave the way *you* like,
100% of the time, should never be allowed at a Debian event.  That
goes far beyond what is needed to keep a particular desired atmosphere
at such a Debian event.

Personally, I think Linus behaved much better than any of the people
asking questions in terms of keeping the atmosphere friendly.  If you
want to ban him forever, what of those who were also less than
friendly, even confrontational, in how they asked their questions,
*at* *the* *Debian* *Event*?

							- Ted