Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

Anthony Towns <aj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 5 September 2014 16:56, Jérémy Bobbio <jeremy.bobbio@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Anthony Towns:
>>> Likewise if someone wants to be a troll on 4chan, a hacker in
>>> Anonymous, a sexist, racist, misogynist, misanthrope on Usenet, or
>>> aggressive, intolerant and hyperbolic on other lists, I think that
>>> should be fine as far as Debian's concerned, as long as they don't do
>>> that in Debian (on our lists, sites, IRC channels, events, etc).
>> I strongly disagree. Debian should be a place where all kind of people
>> should feel welcome.
>
> I agree with that statement.
>
>> If someone contributing is known for having
>> oppressive behaviour, even if it's outside of Debian, it might just
>> chill me out of getting involved in the project after seeing they are
>> involved.
>
> Consequently, I agree that the above would be a shame.
>
>> Because [how] could I know they won't have the same behaviour in
>> Debian?
>
> However, I disagree here -- Debian has a code of conduct that says
> they won't behave the same way within Debian, and listmasters,
> conference organisers and others are ensuring that people who /do/
> behave in those ways are removed from Debian (temporarily or
> permanently as seems appropriate). That's how you can know they won't
> behave the same way in Debian.

If I step into a bar that is filled with men wearing white hoods[0], I'm
going to leave immediately. I don't care if they are chatting over beers
about the latest sports game, merrily playing ping pong while singing
their favorite Frozen song or nursing a white russian, adhering to the
CoC and posting to Debian lists from their iphone. I don't care if I
know that the proprietor will throw them out at the first muttered
racial epitaph.

I'll spend my time in a more welcoming place, and I know plenty of
others that would chose the same. I know people now who still refuse to
simply report bugs (not to mention participate in other ways) because
they find Debian intimidating, unwelcoming and too tolerant of bigoted
behavior through a misguided free speech absolutist policy.

micah

0. i dont care if they are involved because of emotional immaturity,
political dysfunction, deep compensation disorder, some weird attempt to
prove that its possible to be a respectful bigot, etc.