Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
On Sun, Sep 07 2014, Ron wrote:

> The truth of this simple statement burned itself indelibly into my memory:

>  "We are all here as a result of ignoring majority opinion on a number
>   of fronts, so why is it that people expect us to take the results of
>   votes seriously?"

        Because we are supposedly adult and intelligent, and recognoze
 that there are areas where there are no correct answers, and yet
 decisions need to be taken based on common

>  https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1999/09/msg00072.html

        Indeed. I aggree with Phil: When there are objective criteria
 that can be used to differentiate and rank options, voting popularity
 contests are a piss poor way of arriving at a decision. This is why we
 have a technical committee, populate by those much wiser than the rest
 of us to spend the time and effort and delve into the objective
 criteria and come to a decision.

        But when hte deciding criteria are objective, as in where do we
 draw the line at acceptable social behavuour, voting is the only way
 possible.  As adults, we realize that a decision needs to be made  on
 issues dealing with subjective criteria, and as a group we need to
 decide where things stand; thus the GR.

        The vote is over, folks. We can't please everyone. It is up to
 you to decide  whether the group decision is something that fits you,
 and something you can live with. (And it is not forever, any decision
 can be tweaked or overturned by a GR, have at it).

        manoj
--
Enjoy your life; be pleasant and gay, like the birds in May.
Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@xxxxxxxxxx> <http://www.debian.org/~srivasta/>