Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

----- "Michael Stone" <mstone@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Umm, what views did he decide to advertise from a Debian podium, and
> why on earth would he be interested in a panal arguing about abstract
> ethical views? I found (and find) it silly that *debian* people decided
> to have linus start talking about social issues by bringing it up,
> rather than keeping to technical questions. The latter could be
> informative, the former will lead (and did lead) nowhere productive.
> This was a debian problem, not a linus problem.

Agreed. He didn't say anything that wasn't prompted by a question from
a Debianer. If there was an agenda it was Debian's, not his.

I find it very interesting that there has been so much discussion about
how Linus acts on his own project's mailing list and so little discussion
about his criticisms of the project itself (ie. the ability to reliably
run a single binary across different versions of the OS).

While we are arguing the finer points of how many times you can make a
sexual innuendo in an email thread Linus was trying to point out how
the "year of the Linux desktop" is about to sail by us in the form of
ChromeOS. Something that we still seem pretty oblivious to.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
ean@xxxxxxxxxxxxx