Re: Code of Conduct complaint about Linus's comments at DC14 :: Respect

On Fri, Sep 05, 2014 at 11:50:44PM +0200, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
That is enough of a reason for not giving the man a Debian podium from
which advertising, unchallenged, views which are not shared by the
Debian Project --- and that they are not shared has, I think, been
proven by several GRs over the last few years.  That doesn't mean
marking Linus as persona non grata, it means being clever on the event
format. For instance, instead of a Q&A session I would have loved to see
a *panel* between Linus and another non-Debian person that holds
opposite views than his on both Free Software and welcoming communities.
(I've various names in minds, in case someone wants to try to organize
something like this in the future.)

Umm, what views did he decide to advertise from a Debian podium, and why on earth would he be interested in a panal arguing about abstract ethical views? I found (and find) it silly that *debian* people decided to have linus start talking about social issues by bringing it up, rather than keeping to technical questions. The latter could be informative, the former will lead (and did lead) nowhere productive. This was a debian problem, not a linus problem.

Mike Stone