Re: Was Abraham a Jew?

Mark Goodge wrote:

> Apologies for butting in, but we're having an argument over on
> uk.religion.christian about whether Jews consider Abraham to be a Jew,
> and I thought it might be more sensible to ask someone who actually
> knows rather than making wild assumptions  :-)
>
> So, maybe someone could supply an answer. Do Jews consider Abraham to
> have been a Jew? And, either way, why or why not?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Mark

I am not the most qualified person to comment on the subject, but Abraham
was the man whom god promised many descendents ("A'Aseh Otkha legoy
Gadol"). In that sense, Abraham who immigrated from Iraq or Iran (Haran) as
we know them today could be considered the father of all Jewish people. I
certainly would consider him Jewish, just as Jesus is not considered
primarily a Jew at death, but rather a Christian.

Comments and corrections very welcome...