Re: Compaq laptop and screen resistor popped

Paul D.Smith wrote:

> All,
>
> A friend of mine has a Compaq laptop on which the screen has failed.  This
> was apparently accompanied by an audible "pop" from within the laptop.  I
> haven't been able to take a look yet but what she has told me in addition
> to this is:
>
> - the laptop seems to power up fine (though obviously with nothing on
> screen)
> - a repair shop claimed that the LCD and backlight were fine but a
> resistor had blown
> - repair would cost £400.00 (about $600.00).
>
> I'm guessing that for £400.00, we talking complete motherboard replacement
> in which case any tinkering I do can either make it better or no worse!
> So, anyone know of any similar problems on a Compaq and can you offer any
> suggestions?  My initial thoughts are
>
> - confirm all working with an external monitor
> - check how long she's had it and contact Compaq to try and get an "out of
> warrantee but unfit for purpose" repair (long shot, but worth a try!)
> - get out the old soldering iron!
>
> BTW, I've happily replaced soldered in button cells and the like on
> portable motherboards before, so I _am_ paranoid about static, removing
> anything that can be removed first etc. etc. ;-).
>
> Thanks for any suggestions,
> Paul DS.

I had a problem with the screen of my Compaq Presario 1246. The power cable
was slowly degrading and was torn for no justifiably reason after a year
(shame on you Compaq!!).

They were about to charge me $500 for an entire new screen unit (possibly
what they plan to do in your case although it is just one tiny damaged
component).

To cut a long story short, I went to RS Components and DIY'd with great
success. The conclusion I must pass on to you is: don't bloody let them
change entire units. If they were competent, they would be able to _fix_
the problem, not bypass it.