Dial-up modem help please...

  • Subject: Dial-up modem help please...
  • From: frantic@notme.com (Ricky)
  • Date: 13 Nov 2004 15:35:16 -0800
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.peripherals.misc
Hi there,

I have two PCMCIA modems which I use with my laptop. Both are "56k
V90" modems, so I would have expected that they would work in similar
ways. But they don't.

The 3Com Megaherz 3CXM756 (which fits discretely into the PC card
slot) generally connects to my ISP (ntl:freedom) at about 29-36kbps.
Which is way below what I would like.

The Compaq Compact Flash modem (in CF -> PC card adaptor, which sticks
out the side of the laptop like a sore thumb) generally connects to
the same ISP at full speed.

Drivers for both modems properly installed (in Win XP).

Why the discrepancy?

Is there any way I can boost the performace of the 3Com modem to equal
that of the  CF modem?

Or is the 3Com one just crap?

If that's the case, can anyone recommend a decent PC card modem that
doesn't stick out of the laptop like a sore thumb?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers,

Ricky

(e-mail address is a spam trap)