Re: Dumb Question

Stan Gosnell wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com> wrote in
> cn4h9r$2hi6$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk:">news:cn4h9r$2hi6$1@godfrey.mcc.ac.uk:
>
>> Is there a built-in Palm functionality which transfers all data to my
>> SD card? I know commercial products exist, but all I really want is to
>> duplicate the100 KB or so of data from the 4 'main' applications.
>
> Nope.  There are a number of third-party apps, and PalmOne sells a
> backup card containing a backup program (highly over-priced, IMO).

I agree. I got my 32MB SD card for only GBP 12 on eBay. An original Palm
card would have cost about 4 times as much.

> Why not just back up everything?

Okay, so here is my point again: I don't need a back-up of my HDD files so
badly. If I have the data saved in two separate places, then I'm fairly
safe. I want to copy data from the build-in Palm memory to the SD card.

Is there a hack maybe? Can I use Filez, for example, to copy some specific
data files to the SD card? If so, which ones?

> It only takes a few seconds more, and it
> will save you lots of time when (not if) you have a hard reset.  Picking
> files to back up, and doing a manual backup, is lots harder than just
> letting the backup program do it automatically while you sleep, as well
> as less reliable.

I don't back these files up specifically. Twice a week I get a listing of
all recently modified files on the hard drive. I then zip them all up and
send the archive to an FTP server.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com