Re: frames? hate them or not?

Barbara de Zoete wrote, without attribution to the preceeding poster:

> > It is better to leave the choice to the visitor. Enforcing object
> > properties(where unnecessary) only upsets people,
> I do not enforce anything on anyone. If a visitor gets upset by my styles
> (which I find hard to believe), s/he can just switch off the stylesheet
> and, there you go, gets a nicely marked up page that is fully functional
> and readable. CSS is there just for the fun of it. I'm not going to serve
> a page with just markup (and neither are you, IIRC).

First of all you might rethink your quoting style, like for instance putting
a blank line between the quoted bit and your reply. Read the above: Where
does your reply start? Expecially when my wordwrap is different to yours an
a few >s get thrown in there causing even more wordwrap.

Secondly, Please explain how the 80%+ of people out there who use IE are to
turn off CSS. Really, I don't know how to, other than to provide the browser
default CSS as my user default.

<requote>
> > It is better to leave the choice to the visitor. Enforcing object
> > properties(where unnecessary) only upsets people,
</requote>

Leave the choice to the visitor, certainly. Except if *your* choice implies
that they *must* also make another choice.

Consider:

body {color: white}

That is your choice but in making that choice you are "forcing" your visitor
to make another choice, that of background colour. How many people out there
know how to do this? Not many.

By choosing a foreground colour other than none (the default) (and this does
not include white) you must also choose a background colour.

--
Cheers
Richard.