Re: Palm Os versus Pocket PC

  • Subject: Re: Palm Os versus Pocket PC
  • From: chawtrey@hotpop.com (Charles Hawtrey)
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 03:45:46 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot
Bryan Anderson <usenet@bryananderson.co.uk> wrote:

Very good post, especially:

>But - I am not sure, myself, about the future of PalmOS devices
>simply due to the lack of innovation in the OS and ths standard
>apps. My Treo has, apart from the phone apps, basically the
>same software as my orginal Palm Pro. The lack of development
>in the standard apps has led me to purchase Agendus as a diary
>replacement and other software to replace the build in memopad
>and so on. In fact, apart from the phone app, there's no Palm
>software that I use really - it's all third-party.
>
>Microsoft have the funds to throw at developing applications
>and they WILL take over the PDA market unless Palm does some-
>thing soon, of that I am sure.

PalmOS need to stay one step ahead in order to outrun the Redmond
behemoth.  Palm's problem is that most any platform will do what most
people expect of a PDA -- that is, the electronic DayTimer stuff.
They need to find a compelling reason for people to choose PalmOS over
WinCE (or whatever Bill calls it these days).  Otherwise, more and
more people are going to go to the dark side, because that's what is
on their desktop.  People tend to stick with what they know.

I want Palm to win, I really do, but at this point I can't see much
reason for optimism.  And Palm had damn well better get its act
together on its abysmal support and slipping quality control before
word spreads beyond geekdom.

--
"The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the day
that they start making vacuum cleaners."--Doc in alt.privacy