Laptop Hard-drive Problem

Recently I have had serious problems with the hard drive of my Compaq
Presario.

In 2001 I replaced the broken Toshiba hard drive with a new IBM drive. For
the past week or so, quite frequently when I switched on the computer, no
rotation of the hard drive could be heard. As a result, the 'no operating
system found' error comes up. Sometimes the hard drive appeared to rotate
too slowly and then some loud harsh noises were heard every second or so;
error still came up. Sometimes all even worked perfectly, remaining stable
for hours.

Right now the hard drive fails to operate whenever I try. Can anybody
suggest what is happening?

Thanks a _lot_,

Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com