Re: Laptop Hard-drive Problem

Dorothy Bradbury wrote:

> As suggested, get a desktop-to-notebook IDE adapter
> o First - get your data off the drive
> ---- verify the drive is readable & move your data to the desktop system
> ---- then treat the desktop copy as your sole copy & backup to DVD/CDR
> o Second - verify the drive is readily readable
> ---- few reboots & consistent detection/operation
>
> Might be worth checking the drive was connected ok in the laptop "caddy".
> You must backup your data as it might actually be failing.
>
> If you are running XP/2k examine your Event Viewer:
> o Using the Filter option, examine System for event code 7
> ---- that is typically an I/O bad-block
> o There are other I/O error codes
> ---- set the filtering to Error & Warning to filter out the other types
>
> Also, you can run chkdsk from a DOS prompt:
> o From within XP this will at least give you some basic data
> ---- most useful would be an entry other than 0 under "bad sectors"
> o Using chkdsk /f forces the "fix" option which will fix errors
> ---- note SOME inconsistency reporting is normal (bug in XP)
> -------- ie, if you run chkdsk /f over & over it will still report errors
> -------- typically these are security entries & not your data
> ---- however, if there are major errors, examine files after running
>
> Finally, and importantly, the HD maker will have diagnostic tools:
> o Something like event code 7 (bad block doing I/O) indicates a real
> problem o Irrespective, run the Drive Diagnostic program from the HD maker
> website
>
> Note some data diagnostic tests are non-destructive, but not all are (do
> backup).
>
> Most modern HDs do have S.M.A.R.T. reporting, although its somewhat vague
> in its accuracy and perhaps in pass-through reporting accuracy too. So go
> by the diagnostics vs some S.M.A.R.T. reporting tool unless by HD maker.
>
> Whilst it's not pleasant to say:
> o Assume the drive has a problem
> o Ensure you have a backup
> o So IF there really is a problem, its a drive lost and not your data
>
> Laptops are typically poorly backed up.
> Prioritise recovery on your most important data first - re operational
> uptime.
>
> Whilst laptops have shock ratings of say 800-1000G non-operational, that
> is for just 1ms - using a more realistic 11ms the figure is often around
> 120-225G. Whilst that may sound impressive, it is a hard-drive body
> against typically a hard desk surface - deceleration distance is tiny, so
> G correspondingly high.

Thank you for a lengthy and helpful reply, Dorothy.

The HDD has now failed to work for nearly 24 hours. Its condition
exacerbates because I now fail to even get that 'slow rotation'. It remains
quiet at the start and then makes some knuckle-like noises.

I will buy a new one later today. Luckily I backed up all my files on August
30th.

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com