Re: click fraud lawsuit

  • Subject: Re: click fraud lawsuit
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 05:06:54 +0100
  • Followup-to: alt.internet.search-engines,alt.www.webmaster
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines, alt.www.webmaster
gds@best.cut.here.com wrote:

> "Viper" <venomx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>gds@best.cut.here.com wrote:
>>> I'm surprised no one's mentioned this:
>>>
>>> http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/050405/click_fraud_lawsuit.html?.v=1
>>>
>>> There's a thread on it in SearchEngineWatch:
>>>
>>> http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/showthread.php?threadid=5064
>>>
>>> One of the posters' comments struck me as interesting:
>>>
>>> This is a case where the burden of proof will be on the people
>>> bringing the suit, which will be expensive and lengthy. Judges will
>>> struggle with the technology, after all, if we in the industry can't
>>> define what it is how can then judge on whether it is happening?
>>>
>>> Is this a common opinion (that "we in the industry can't define it")?
>>> I'm surprised, because most people I know who have a technical
>>> background in HTTP and web servers can define it and cite many means
>>> by which it can occur.  Of course, they cannot identify each and every
>>> instance of click fraud, nor can they discern the difference between
>>> fraudlent and non-fraudulent intent.  However, I wouldn't think this
>>> to be an impediment to discussing the problem.
>>>

>>No way will they win that. They have to prove the clicks are invalid. All
>>Google has to do is show the judge all the peopel online crying because
>>their adsense accounts got closed and say "see we do stop abuse".
>
> It's my understanding that some people whose AdSense accounts were
> closed feel they were not at fault, and that they themselves were
> victims of click fraud.  Anyway, FWIW, I don't think the people
> bringing the suit will win either.  However, I still think PPC is a
> bad business model *because* it can be so easily abused.
>
> --gregbo
> gds at best dot com

Has anybody mentioned these companies that are ripped off by webmasters who
abuse AdSense? I heard about some centres in India where people click many
adverts. Both Google and the webmasters earn. The advertiser loses. As a
result, of course, the value of clicks declines too.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com