Re: Fonts Shrink When I Boot

houghi wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Intersting question. I use Xinerama (dual-head just in case you have not
>> come across the name). I can't recall ever having the same problem before
>> using Xinerama. Why can/should it make a difference? Can this be solved?
>
> I have noticed it as well sometimes. Last time I had it happen was when
> I went to KDE 3.4 and back to the one that came with 9.1 (At least I
> hope I am now having that finaly back)
>
> It suddenly went away after a reboot. I did not had done a(n?) YOU. I
> just had turned off my PC because the noice kept me awake.
>
> Things that might be related: I have a Matrox G550 card also in
> Xinerama.

I don't really have the answer, but perhaps part of the what's going on:

Fonts are rendered based on a few calculations: physical size of the screen
(in mm), pixels per inch and the resolution stated in XF86Config.  But also
any failed DDC probing of the monitor by the card on bootup can alter this,
such that it fails in assigning values to "screens" that are predefined in
the XF86Config. Perhaps it then falls back to some kind of default. Hence
fonts are rendered differently..

Use xpdyinfo to see the 3 details I mentioned - here is mine:

screen #0:
  print screen:    no
  dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (342x271 millimeters)
  resolution:    95x96 dots per inch

An idea is to record these values when font sizes differ - and move forward
from there... also the bootup DDC probing is shown in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
Now when I think about this...perhaps shutting off DDC probing on bootup is
a possible fix..

Just some thoughts. Warning: I may be completely off too!

--
Suse Linux 9.2 | KDE 3.4