Re: Sed for Search and Replace

  • Subject: Re: Sed for Search and Replace
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 02:57:31 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
Toby Inkster wrote:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> I once wrote a global/recursive search-and-replace tool for Linux, but
>> it operates on files, not on a database, which is where all the data is
>> located.

I re-thought that. Over the long run, it is better the re-write Texturize (
http://photomatt.net/tools/texturize ) of WordPress to generate these span
elements on-the-fly, somewhat like a filter. This way the user does not
need to do so time and time again.

> So what? -- I can't imagine it would take more than a few lines of code to
> get it to operate of a database instead!
>
> As an aside, why did you write that tool? Hadn't you read "man sed"?

It uses sed. You had very much to do with the composition of this little
tool: http://www.schestowitz.com/Software/Search_and_Replace/

I even acknowledge you at the bottom. I have extended these 'scripts' to
change pages quite radically, en masse. The longest such script is around
30 lines long.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com