Re: SEO Myth

  • Subject: Re: SEO Myth
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:33:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.internet.search-engines
web_design wrote:

> Can anyone confirm or dispell this SEO rumour:
>
> A couple of people told me that the more people who bookmark your site,
> the
> better it is for search engine rankings.  I can't figure out how search
> engines can keep track of who bookmarks a site so it doesn't sound right
> to me.

A few clarifications: If you use Windoze and, more particularly, if you use
Internet Explorer, your privacy is jeopardised the most. I am not blaming
Microsoft here, but spyware is targetted at the most prolific platform and
application. It is the most cost-effective spyware development process.

Do you know about Alexa rating? That is based on spyware. The watchers know
what sites you visit. The watchers might also know what pages you bookmark,
how long you 'sit' on a SERP, which pages you follow, et cetera et cetera.

Google will also be able to know, based on a small statistical sample that
is exposed to spying, which page gets bookmarked the most after that the
page was reached from a given SERP (e.g. leaving SERP, then hitting back
and requesting the SERP again). This way, spammy sites can be distinguished
from the sites you actually had interest in and ended up bookmarking. It's
a machine learning approach. Results adapt to users' behaviour. With a
cunning Google cookie that precisely identifies you, you can only imagine
how much data is accumulated about you. Shall it be needed, let us take if
all off the shelf...

I am not 100% sure about all the facts above, but spying is nothing new.
What I said is based on text (and I don;t mean science-fiction or
conspiracy theory). Microsoft have recently bought a spyware company (Bonzi
and other related c**p) so they have similar plans.

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com