Re: Windows to Ubuntu

  • Subject: Re: Windows to Ubuntu
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 03:23:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: uk.comp.misc
WaltA wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 16:37:21 +0100, Roy Schestowit and others did
> write:
>>> Hmmm very interesting, I have always fancied trying Linux (what's with
>>> Ubuntu? different from 'normal' Linux?)
>>It comes as a single-CD installation that will set up your machine with
>>all the software above (see list) within minutes. It will configure
>>everything automatically including network card/s (network addresses too),
>>scanners, monitor/s etc.
>
> Including WinModems ? !
>
>> One wonders why so many people still use Windows...
>
> see above !
>
>>I have used Windows since version 3.1
>
> Yep, me too, and various DOS before that, but then I made the mistake
> of buying a new machine with modem already in it !
> Now I could go and buy another (hardware) modem that was Linux compat.
> but ,,,,roundtuits ! ,,,,
> ,,, that is why a lot of people still use windoze.
>
> ( I've tried Knoppix, Puppy, Feather, DamnSmall, none of them have a
> driver for my modem)
>
> However, tks for the heads-up on Ubuntu, I'll go look at it :)
> Thanks.

It sounds like you had a go with Linux quite a long while back. What
happened to heavy Linux distributions like Mandrake, SuSE, and RedHat
Fedora? Some of them must be contained in a DVD or ~5 CD's (5-10% capacity
of typical hard-drive), which provide any piece of software you will ever
need (no speed issues, forget about the opaque Windows Registry mechanism).
If you want somebody else to get installations done or resolve
compatibility woes, have a look at:

http://schestowitz.com/Weblog/archives/2005/07/22/developers-hardware/

Dabs are selling a Linux box for GBP 140 plus tax. The quicklinx is 3QV3WS,
I don't think there's a permalink.