Re: Ping: CMS Geeks (you know you are...)

  • Subject: Re: Ping: CMS Geeks (you know you are...)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@schestowitz.com>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:28:50 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.os.linux.suse
Kevin Nathan wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 09:46:35 -0700
> Perfect Reign <theperfectreign@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> I was researching CMS sites again. (Xoops doesn't support PHP 4 yet,
>> apparently...)
>>
>> Nice site: http://www.opensourcecms.com/ You can try several
>> different cms solutions live.
>>

> Thanks for the link! I'll be checking it out more carefully this
> weekend.
>
> I'm currently learning Mambo (as well as Simple Machines Forum after
> having given up on phpBB2) and I'm suitably impressed! :-) I'm hoping
> the next version comes out soon, though, because I'd like the dynamic
> directory structure. From a good, introductory tutorial site (see:
> http://forum.mamboserver.com/showthread.php?t=43240 ):
>
> "The current version of Mambo has a static hierarchy: you have to
> divide your content into three levels, no more, no less. Version 5.0
> should have dynamic folder hierarchy ? if you want just one level, you
> can have it. If you want ten, you can have that too. But for now, you
> will have to use the three level system: Sections, Categories, and
> Content."
>
> Even with these current limitations, it's pretty flexible -- I can only
> imagine what the dynamic dirs will bring . . . :-)

Extra levels is one thing that I am missing in PHP-Nuke, though anything
else about it I absolutely love. WordPress, which has recently taken a move
towards being a CMS (it already is a CMS in a sense), incorporates some
features which I wish I had in PHP-Nuke. A colleague of mine runs our LUG's
Web site on Mambo. He is happy with it, but I am not overly impressed. My
conclusion is that the best CMS will combine the best of all of these GPL'd
packages. I know a few other CMS packages, but only from afar (no hands-n
experience).

Speaking of phpBB2 (*cough* security holes *cough*) as a general CMS, I
think it is a terrible idea, much like manageing a site solely on Gallery
(version 2 coming out soon).

Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com